Children’s programming at Kortright is designed by Ontario Certified Teachers (OCT) and led by experienced outdoor educators.
All of our programs involve an adventure into a woodland setting. Children interact with the natural environment through creative play, crafts, games, stories and more. This child-led approach to learning is exploratory, inquiry-based and fun.
For more information about our children’s programming, please contact Customer Service at 416-667-6295 Ext 602.
GROWING WITH NATURE
Recommended for children ages 2.5 to 5.
Growing with Nature provides an inclusive environment for preschool-aged children to engage in outdoor education and developmental activities.
This program is led by an environmental education professional in partnership with an occupational therapist/physiotherapist and an early interventionist.
Children will be encouraged to participate in activities that promote social communication and cognitive skills, fine, visual and gross motor skills and much more.
SPRING 2019 (Four Sessions)
• Thursdays (10:30 to 11:30 am): Thursday February 14 to Thursday March 7
• $25 per session | $100 for all four sessions
Children must be accompanied by an adult to attend.
SUMMER NATURE DAY CAMP
2019 Registration Now Open!
Overnight Camp Information and Registration Coming Soon.
The Kortright Summer Nature Day Camp is for children 4-14 years of age who like nature and spending time outdoors. Each week of camp has a new theme, so you can come for just a week or stay for the whole summer.
In addition, we offer a Kinder Camp program for youngsters 4 and 5. Kinder Camp has been designed with lower staff-to-camper ratios, rest breaks and age-appropriate activities to give our youngest campers the best experience possible.
ABOUT KORTRIGHT SUMMER NATURE DAY CAMP
Our camp leaders are mature adults with many years of experience working with children. Home base is our spacious, air-conditioned Visitor Centre, which the campers will be in and out of throughout the day.
Campers are placed into groups of 10 with children of similar age.
- Discover wildlife up close and personal with a live animal show! Campers have the chance to meet and interact with fascinating live animals and their handlers.
- Experience outdoor cookouts! Each Wednesday we will provide lunch and snacks for the campers. We will continue a great outdoor tradition by roasting hotdogs and marshmallows over a campfire in the valley surrounded by majestic hardwood forests. Pending appropriate weather conditions. Alternative meal provided for poor weather conditions or dietary restrictions.
- Every Thursday evening, a hearty and kid-friendly meal is provided followed by a campfire program including fireside treats, activities, skits and songs! All campers must be signed out at 6:00 pm, but parents and campers are welcome to stay for the campfire at that time.
WHAT TO BRING
We are an outdoors based camp and will spend a good portion of the day outdoors. Clothing must be practical and comfortable. Please bring clothing and footwear that can get dirty. Make sure all personal belongings fit into one bag. Please carefully check the list below on what to bring to camp.
Please clearly label all your child’s belongings with his or her name.
Every day ensure your child has:
- Sunscreen SPF 30 or higher (please apply sunscreen on your child before coming to camp as well as packing it for them to use during the day)
- An insect repellent containing DEET or Icaridin
- Wide-brimmed hat
- Reusable water bottle filled with water
- Closed-toed, flat-soled shoes (such as running shoes)
- Lunch* (A lunch is not required on Wednesday cookout lunch days, but you may provide snacks that day)
* Due to allergies of some campers, please only pack nut-free lunch and snack items.
On the first day of camp, you are welcome to pack the following in a separate bag and have your child leave these items at camp for the week. If your child does not leave these items at camp, please ensure that they bring them every day instead:
- Long pants and a sweater
- An extra set of clothes: shirt, socks, shorts, underwear
- Rain gear: rain jacket, rubber boots
Each week, children will go on a “river walk”. Your child’s counsellor will let you know which day it will be. On the river walk day your child should also bring:
- An extra set of clothes: shirt, socks, shorts, underwear
- Closed-toed, flat-soled shoes that can get wet (such as an old pair of running shoes or rubber boots). These are in addition to their normal shoes for the day.
- On the day of the river walk, have your child wear shorts or pants that can be rolled up
Optional items to pack:
- Inexpensive camera
Additional Items for Leadership in Training Camp Only
Please pack the following in as small a bag as possible:
Toothbrush, toothpaste, face cloth and other toiletries (note: there are no showers)
- Sleeping Bag
- Sleeping pad
- Long pants, warm sweater or jacket, warm hat
- Extra change of clothes for next day (socks, underwear, shorts, shirt)
- Pillow and pillowcase (or just a pillowcase to stuff with extra clothes for use as a pillow)
- Insect repellant (non-aerosol, no disposable wipes)
Please do not bring:
- Mobile phones (your leaders will have phones in case of emergency)
- iPod, video games or other electronic devices
- Any kind of aerosol sprays
- Knives or hand axes
- Camp hours are 9:00 am to 4:00 pm
- Drop-off is between 8:45 am and 9:00 am at the kiss and ride location at the Northwest corner of the Visitor Centre parking lot.
- Before and After care is offered at $25/child per day starting at 8:00 am and ending at 5:30 pm. A weekly Before and After care option is available for $100.
- All campers at camp more than five minutes after the camp end time will be transferred to the After Care program; applicable fees apply.
Ages 6 to 11
- One week: $270
- Two weeks: $490
- Four-day camp (July 2-5; August 6-9): $216
Kinder Camp – Ages 4 to 5
- One week: $280
- Two weeks: $500
- Four-day camp (July 2-5; August 6-9): $224
TWO WAYS TO SAVE!
Save $20 per registration if you:
- register before May 1, 2019; or
- register with a sibling or friend for the same week before June 20, 2019
Discount offers cannot be combined.
2019 Nature Day Camps
REGISTRATION NOW OPEN!
• Early Bird Pricing in Effect Until May 1, 2019.
• Overnight Camp Information and Registration Coming Soon.
LITTLE SAPLINGS PARENT & TOT PROGRAM
Recommended for children ages 1 to 5.
In this weekly program, youngsters will explore a new nature theme each week. The format allows for consistent structure with flexible content. Parent or caregiver participation is required.
- Outdoor activities such as collecting, hiding, piling, catching and exploring nature.
- Indoor activities including fun crafts, hands-on experiments and sensory games.
- Circle time with structured sharing, singing and engaging stories.
- Free-time indoor activities with exploratory natural touch items, puzzles, games and toys.
- Your fee includes park admission, so you can stay after your session and enjoy the trails at your leisure.
• Sunday Program (10:00 am to 11:30 am): Sunday February 3 to Sunday March 3 (except February 17)
• $65 for Winter session
Advance registration required. Sessions are 1.5 hours in duration and are recommended for children ages 1-5 years accompanied by a parent for the duration of the program. Two Sessions to choose from. Minimum registration required for program to run.
• Saturday Program (9:00 am to 10:30 am OR 11:00 am to 12:30 pm): Saturday April 13 to Saturday June 8 (except May 18)
• Sunday Program (10:00 am to 11:30 am): Sunday April 14 to Sunday June 9 (except May 19)
• Monday Program (10:00 am to 11:30 am): Monday April 15 to Monday June 10 (except May 20)
• $130 per program
Advance registration required. Sessions are 1.5 hours in duration and are recommended for children ages 1-5 years accompanied by a parent for the duration of the program. Minimum registration required for program to run.