Students will visit the Kortright Organic Farm to learn firsthand where food comes from and see how everything on the farm is interconnected.
The Kortright organic farm provides fresh produce to the local area.
Every visit will be a little different, as farming is a seasonal cycle. Depending on the season, students may learn about crop rotation, companion planting, seed production, pollinators, composting, the importance of planting a variety of crops, and how the local pond and wildlife enhance production.
Students may also get the chance to plant, maintain or harvest crops at the farm or plant their own seed to take home.
Half Day | May to October
• Science and Technology
• Life Systems – Grade 3: Growth and Change in Plants
• Earth and Space – Grade 3: Soils in the Environment
• 7B – Grade 7: Natural Resources around the world — Use and Sustainability
• Social Studies
• Heritage and Identity – Grade 6: Communities in Canada Past and Present
• People and Environments – Grade 1: People and Environments | Grade 2: Global Communities | Grade 3: Living and Working in Ontario